Mt. Stuart Elementary Construction
Location: 1701 North Cora Street
Square Footage: 55,993 sq. ft.
Classrooms: 21 classrooms K-5 with classrooms for learning specialists
Student Capacity: Approximately 500 students
Funding Source: 2018 Capital Bond Project
Architect: Integrus Architecture
Construction Management: OAC Services, Inc.
Contractor: Garco Construction
Anticipated Completion: Fall, 2021
The original 34,100 square foot building was built in 1967 and a 6,730 square foot gymnasium was added on in 1993. The plan is to construct a new approximately 500 student, 55,000 square foot K-5 school on an existing Mt. Stuart site. The new school consists of new general classrooms, special education/resource rooms, library, kitchen, gymnasium, commons, music room to accommodate band/choir program, administrative, counseling and educational support spaces. Once completed, students/staff and resources will occupy the new school and the existing structure will be abated and demolished. Final site and playground landscaping would be completed in this phase.
Mt. Stuart Elementary School Project Plan
The original 34,100 square foot building was constructed in 1967 and has had several modifications since. A 4,001 square foot annex was added in 1972, and a 6,730 square foot gymnasium was added in 1993. The original construction was funded in part by a grant from the Washington State Recreation and Conservation Office. Conditions of this grant include maintaining 18 acres of conservation land for recreation purposes. This land may be maintained on the site or moved to the adjacent new elementary site.
The new Mt. Stuart project is proposed as an approximately 500 student, 56,000 square foot K-5 school on the existing Mt. Stuart site. The new school would contain general classrooms, special education/resource rooms, library, kitchen, gymnasium, commons, music room to accommodate the music, and orchestra program, administrative, counseling, and educational support spaces. Once the new Mt. Stuart is complete, students and staff will move to their new facility and the existing structure will be abated and demolished. After students and staff move into the new building, final site and playground landscaping will be completed, approximately in the location of the existing school.
New Elementary Schools
- Build a new approximately 500-student elementary school on District-owned property near Mt. Stuart Elementary
- Build a new-in-lieu approximately 500-student Mt. Stuart Elementary school on existing Mt. Stuart Elementary property
- Seek continual feedback from the community on the school's design throughout the planning phase
Expansion & Renovation
- Eliminate the use of portable buildings, regaining learning time lost during transitions and improving security
Maintenance & Safety
- Address maintenance and safety concerns at Mt. Stuart and Lincoln Elementaries, including parking and traffic improvements, secure entrances, and HVAC upgrades